Blair Hills Meeting and Candidates Forum
7PM, Thursday, April 8, 2010
- Meeting was called to order by Bilson Davis
- Hank Shapiro opened meeting with harmonica accompaniment to “God Bless America”
- Terry Keelan, Chairman of the Blair Hills Traffic Committee spoke regarding traffic issues in Blair Hills including “cut-through traffic” and parking around B.H. Park. He mentioned that there is a procedure of preferential parking zones that can be enlisted by different blocks in B.H. neighborhood and information about this can be obtained through Culver City’s website. A survey was given out to those in attendance to cast their votes or make additional suggestions to those already offered by Terry and his committee, Maryanne Greene, Jon Melvin, Paul Richter and Hank Shapiro. Possible solutions suggested: Speed bumps, Restricting left turns, Partial or entire closing of some streets. Each suggestion has its pros and cons. There needs to be 61% agreement of B.H. residents in order to “pass it.” Terry also explained that we need a new traffic study because the old one is outdated.
- Mim Shapiro reported on the election committee and the nominees on the ballot: This year there will be 3 co-chairs. The nominees are: Bilson Davis, Kerri Lue, and Annie Wilson. Ballots were passed out and Mim requested any nominations from the floor.
- A resident voiced concern regarding street blockage and that in the event of an emergency there might be a problem. Jon Melvin responded saying that there wasn’t any need for concern because the city would create “crash gates” to facilitate the movement for emergency vehicles.
- Both election committee ballots and traffic committee surveys were completed by those in attendance and collected.
- Annie Wilson made an announcement regarding the various Blair Hills committees and their respective members in order to confirm that those people were still interested in serving.
- Candidates for the City Council were then invited to take their seats at the front of the room for the evening’s forum. Bilson announced that Jon would be Moderator. Jon then introduced the candidates. In attendance: Jeff Cooper, Scott Malsin, Meghan Sahli-Wells, and Robert Zirgulis.
- Prior to forum proceedings getting under way, Dorothy Steiner announced that this year the polling place will be at her house located at 5964 Stoneview (between the school and the park). Someone noted that her house is the only one on that side of the street so it should be easy to find.
- The candidates were then told that they would have 2 minutes for Opening Statements and 1-2 minutes for answering the various questions that were called for in advance by Bilson. In the interest of time, Jon combined questions for the candidates to answer. Each candidate was also given 2 minutes for Closing Remarks. Candidates were thanked for coming out to our BH meeting and for being so generous with their time.
- Mim Shapiro read the results of the balloting done earlier in the evening. Most of the attendees agreed with the suggested nominees for the co-chaired post of President of the BH Association: Bilson Davis, Kerry Lue and Annie Wilson have been elected to serve together. Barbara Carson was nominated by Cheri Sakai to assist Karen Richter as Recording Secretary.
- Bilson once again thanked the candidates and announced meeting adjourned
- ALSO, there will be a board meeting at the home of Annie Wilson on April 25th and will last about 45 minutes. After that the Picnic Committee will begin at 6 p.m.
back to main page