BLAIR HILLS COMMUNITY MEETING - JULY 19, 2011
The meeting was opened by Terri Payne Lue. The minutes were read silently by the members and were approved as read.
Janiece announced that the picnic will be held Saturday, August 13, 2011 at the BH park. Volunteers are needed. Call Annie Wilson at (310) 559-5980 for more information. Marian Kenney stated that she has been trying to get an improvement on Jefferson since August, 2010. The map shows that this is in L.A. She is now waiting for a response from Richard Lee of the LA Public Works Department concerning this matter.
Antoinette reported that the Conservancy had met at the KH park and voted to approve money to clean the overlook area. Parking meters will be installed at Hezler Street. Funds generated from them will be used to put a crosswalk and possibly a traffic light on Jefferson.
Terri introduced the guest speaker, Wayne Schick, a Certified Engineering Geologist. He covered these points concerning problems that residents are having with their homes:
· The best investment is to first check the drainage. Slopes should be directed away from the house.
· Cracks up to one quarter inch can tend to be ignored. Three quarter inch cracks need attention.
· It is important to get someone to go into the crawl space under the house to check leaks in pipes. You need proper venting for crawl space. He will inspect under the house at a minimum two hour cost for $240.00. If water is under the house, it is illegal to drain it into sewer pipes.
· Cheri Sakai should get a certified plumber to check the vibrating pipes at her house. This will address inexpensive causes first.
· Do not over water or over irrigate.
· He recommended Gary Sinai for hillside construction and foundation work. He can also recommend others as needed.
· Roof gutters are important.
· Permits are necessary for structural repairs.
· It is important to compact the soil. Houses built on soil not compacted may fall apart.
W. Schick can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com
Kerri will scan the report, Obtaining Site Data, download it, and will ask Jon to put it on the website so that interested neighbors can read it.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m. The next meeting is scheduled to be held at the KH Community Room on August 16, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.
Barbara Carson, Recording Secretary